I have several sewing projects….but for the past week I stuck with my decision to just keep working on the Snowball quilt top. I finished whatever applique ( stems etc. ) that needed to be done and then went in and started to put the buds and little circles into all four corners. When I took these initial pictures on Friday morning, some of the buds were just glue basted into place and I was about half way through some simple embroidery on the leaves.
There is ice on top of our snow here now, so I just laid the quilt top out on the snow on the side of the house, then went up to the porch to take a picture. This made sense since at the time, there was no wind. I wanted to get a quick picture before my little grandson came over for the afternoon.
See the imprint of my foot ? It barely goes down into the many, many inches of snow below the ice covering…it is on the bottom there, in the middle of the quilt top.
At any rate, at this point I still had 3 more buds to applique on the base of the large flowers as well as needing to finish up the embroidery.
Of course no sooner had I snapped this than a stray wind gust came along and I went chasing the top as it blew into my neighbor’s driveway :)
The original pattern had a border of more snowballs, but I had some pale pink fabric to use up. I did not even have matching threads for most of this when I started. I cannot believe what thread costs nowadays. I have slowly been running into JoAnn Fabrics with this or that coupon getting a bit of thread here and there…and then of course as I build that up I see many applique experts saying that they use silk thread…well, I will just have to make do a bit in regards to thread :)
On Saturday morning, I finished up what little remained of the applique and embroidery and then worked on adding the pink border. In the afternoon I took it out to the line ( crunch, crunch, crunch through the ice-snow ) for a few pictures. The pink border is actually a lighter pink than the photos show…they show a purple sheen to my eye but the pink is a true pale pink.
Later in the afternoon I cut out the backing and batting. The backing is the light purple material that I used in the first Benjamin Biggs block. I bought that material on sale about 2 years ago thinking to make aprons or a dress for Kate or something or other that I obviously never did, so now it is getting put to use :) I’ve had the batting for several months now…Warm and Natural when JoAnn’s had it on a 50% off sale.
Oh excuse me, Kanga…I was not really planning on your help with the pin basting!
Now that this top is finished and ready…I’ll be able to start the hand quilting! :)
You may also enjoy : Vintage Grandmother’s Flower Garden Quilt or Joy in Gardening: Sunflowers or New England Thanksgiving or Vintage Coffee Pot
Sharing at :