I had finished hand quilting Stars & Spools towards the end of January, but I didn’t touch it again until this weekend.
One thing that initially held me back was that I didn’t have enough of any particular fabric that would work for a binding. I looked around online and ended up purchasing a pre-made binding from JoAnn Fabrics that would work with several of the colors in the quilt.
If I do a fall table runner or something like that in the future I can use up the leftover binding.
I brought out the sewing machine and machine quilted the brown and beige striped border and then attached the binding.
Hand stitching it to the back will take awhile, but at least it is a start :)
Because I hand quilt and applique by hand, hand stitching binding is one of my least favorite things to do. But for Stars and Spools I think that it may be a labor of love…I just made up this quilt as I went along.
It took a long while to finish, but I so enjoyed using the reproduction type fabrics and the creative process in general.
If I just resolve to go through one length of thread per day, this last step will be done eventually:)
Sharing at Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching