QUILTS: Binding One, Tying One, and Barb’s Fan Stencil Arrived for the Third one :)

Around the middle of January I decided to make a baby quilt for a young couple who are best friends with my youngest son.  The baby boy is due in July. I didn’t do much else but work on it since then and I am to the point where the top is done, the quilt sandwich is done, and in the end I decided to tie it.  I did request that they trace the older sister and brother hand prints for me to hand quilt in to border sections.

I decided to tie it because I want them to use it. If I hand quilted, it would go on to a shelf as a priceless heirloom and they’d never touch it. I’ve learned this over time when I gift quilts.  I made this quilt to be bright and happy so that the baby could enjoy it, not have it on display and never used.

I have tied quilts with yarn and crochet cotton. This time I am using perle cotton after doing some research online that it would work as well. You can barely see it and that’s what I want.  Oftentimes when I show a tied quilt I have some questions. I use a curved needle. I bought a set of four of them in JoAnn Fabrics….not in the quilting section but the basic sewing section. They work great.   I use a long section of thread and pull it through, leaving enough thread to tie a knot 4 times, and then trim.  There are a few tied quilts from when my boys were little still in use, washed over and over and treated roughly, and now the grands are using them. Tied quilts hold up very well.

Once that was done, I could get back to the Botanical quilt, which is also to be gifted…in this case to a bride and groom. I trimmed the batting and backing and folded it up for another day, and then decided to take a photo of the hand quilting from the back.

This is how nice and ‘crinkly’ it looks even prior to washing it :) This is why I love hand quilting :)

Finally while I’ve not kept track of when it was started, the Rose of Sharon top was finished December 4: 2016 and I am finally getting around to quilting it :)

It measures 55 x 55

Because the last hand quilting project ( Botanical ) had me slowly and meticulously echo quilting applique flowers and then cross hatch quilting, I wanted to do something different for the Rose of Sharon quilt.

I ordered the large fan stencil from Barb at Fun with Barb and I can see why she wanted to design and produce one like this! :)

So one to bind, one to tie, and one to hand quilt !

Quick update : If you’ve read previous posts I had to get a new computer, hate having Windows 10 versus Windows 7 and was upset about losing Picasa. Thanks to Eileen at Viewing Nature with Eileen, I was able to find a site to download it. I was so happy to have it back since I am familiar with it, and I can use it within my computer versus having to go online which is the case with PicMonkey and many others.

 You might also enjoy : BEE PETTING & BLOOMS   

Or ICE and a Little Applique

Sharing at Esther’s Quilt Blog, Sew Fresh Quilts, and My Quilt Infatuation


Baby Quilt Top Finished and Computer Aggravation Continues

An update to the recent post about having to get a new computer. When I went to pick it up after the data transfer, I saw my documents there. All the various folders for the last few years…..but they are gone now!  They went missing after the guy installed Office.  He’d had some troubles doing that and I have no clue what happened.

Fortunately they still have my hard drives but this means that I have to unplug everything, take the computer back in and then hook it all back up again.

And my photo editor is gone. I used Picasa and I could use it in my sleep and a good bit of time has been spent exploring the various editors out there at the moment. Some have similar features to Picasa  but lack others …for instance I tried out at least four before finding one that straightens photos. Since the laundry line ( aka known as my design wall ) sags, I’ve gotten used to simply clicking on the “Straighten” feature in Picasa.  Well when you change computers all downloaded programs from years ago, such as Picasa, are gone.

I did manage to finish up the last two sailboats on the final border of the baby quilt. It morphed in to more of a crib size or child sized lap quilt, measuring 43 x 57.

This was a spur-of-moment project and I worked on it for the last few weeks.

It is now a quilt sandwich, pin basted and ready for quilting :)  I just made it up as I went along and had fun with it.