Here’s what I’ve been up to in regards to sewing in early September…
Last Sunday, over the Labor Day weekend, I almost finished the applique on the first AirShip Propeller block. I left a bit for another day.
The week before, I’d made more blocks for this hour glass quilt top that I’d started ages ago. I had made 18 more blocks. On Sunday afternoon, I sewed them together and added 5 to the top, 5 to the bottom, and 8 to one side. I had used up all of the white fabric that I had left, from older projects at this point. ( as in white-white, not Kona Snow which I always have on hand )
This is where it will stay until I decide what to do next.
The color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is a rose red / claret color with a touch of gold if we wanted to add that in. I brought out my Crossroads to Jericho top and took a look at where I was thus far. I made four of the rose / claret shaded blocks over the weekend and three lighter, transition blocks later in the week to finish off another row.
Crossroads to Jericho measures about 46 x 58 at the moment. There’s going to be a piano key border so I may stop at this point or just add one more row on the top or bottom in the future.
I wasn’t sure if these RSC colors of rose / claret / gold would work with the Orange Peels. I had several rows sewn but not together, and many loose blocks.
On Monday before heading down to my son’s house for a Labor Day get-together, I sewed all of the Orange Peel blocks that I had thus far together.
At this point for these RSC tops I can’t really just grab fabric willy-nilly as I had been doing, but will have to start ensuring that what I am making is going to blend in somewhere. I have four yellowish golds prepped to applique but I may not make one block from them but use them as blends in other blocks for the next row. Time will tell :)
Meanwhile I marvel at some of you who work with itsy bitsy sizes in regards to piecing quilts. To me a ‘small’ block is six inches :) I’d never save a scrap that I couldn’t get a 2 1/2 inch square out of until recently. Now I find myself saving them for applique berries.
As to other applique, I was on a prep-roll, and prepped for the next AirShip propeller block, the next Elizabeth’s Pride block, and am in process of doing the same for a Benjamin Biggs block.
You might also enjoy : Hydrangea, Heirloom Royal Wettina Vase and Vintage Bavarian China or Making a Rag Rug on a Loom or I Won the baby lock Melody