Finished : Botanical Quilt

I finished this top up in February of 2016.  I hand appliqued the blocks ; they came from the Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt project.  I just started calling it Botanical after awhile :) Initially Dawn from Collector with a Needle and Doreen from Aunt Reen’s Place were jointly sponsoring this sew-a-along.

 

Looking back over the blog, I see that I started pin basting this in August of 2017 in preparation for hand quilting.

I finished up the hand quilting awhile ago but took my good old time in regards to binding it. I was easily 3/4 of the way through and then put it aside when I got sidetracked on EPP Starflowers.

I finally finished it up on St. Patrick’s Day weekend, and on the following Monday I washed it and hung it on the line to dry. It was 50 degrees or so and sunny and the weather forecast was for snow the next few days…better get it out there before more cold and snow! :)

So I took some photos once it was dry and sweet smelling from the fresh air and then walked it down the street to the recipients…. good friends who are to be married in May :)

I did not make this quilt in anticipation of gifting it.  Once they announced their engagement and were down at my house shortly afterwards, I gave them a choice between my recently completed Scrappy Granny or the Botanical which was on its way to completion. They chose the Botanical. It’s a nice couch sized quilt to display or cuddle under while watching TV.

Here are some closeups of the hand quilting : front and back…I alternated between echo quilting and crosshatch.

While this quilt looks very suitable for spring’s arrival, we have several inches of snow outside and it is still falling :)

You might also enjoy : Quilt Finish: Applique Red & Green Quilt

Sharing at Esther’s Quilt Blog  /     My Quilt Infatuation

Confessions of a Fabric Addict  and Kathy’s Quilts 

 

QUILTS: Binding One, Tying One, and Barb’s Fan Stencil Arrived for the Third one :)

Around the middle of January I decided to make a baby quilt for a young couple who are best friends with my youngest son.  The baby boy is due in July. I didn’t do much else but work on it since then and I am to the point where the top is done, the quilt sandwich is done, and in the end I decided to tie it.  I did request that they trace the older sister and brother hand prints for me to hand quilt in to border sections.

I decided to tie it because I want them to use it. If I hand quilted, it would go on to a shelf as a priceless heirloom and they’d never touch it. I’ve learned this over time when I gift quilts.  I made this quilt to be bright and happy so that the baby could enjoy it, not have it on display and never used.

I have tied quilts with yarn and crochet cotton. This time I am using perle cotton after doing some research online that it would work as well. You can barely see it and that’s what I want.  Oftentimes when I show a tied quilt I have some questions. I use a curved needle. I bought a set of four of them in JoAnn Fabrics….not in the quilting section but the basic sewing section. They work great.   I use a long section of thread and pull it through, leaving enough thread to tie a knot 4 times, and then trim.  There are a few tied quilts from when my boys were little still in use, washed over and over and treated roughly, and now the grands are using them. Tied quilts hold up very well.

Once that was done, I could get back to the Botanical quilt, which is also to be gifted…in this case to a bride and groom. I trimmed the batting and backing and folded it up for another day, and then decided to take a photo of the hand quilting from the back.

This is how nice and ‘crinkly’ it looks even prior to washing it :) This is why I love hand quilting :)

Finally while I’ve not kept track of when it was started, the Rose of Sharon top was finished December 4: 2016 and I am finally getting around to quilting it :)

It measures 55 x 55

Because the last hand quilting project ( Botanical ) had me slowly and meticulously echo quilting applique flowers and then cross hatch quilting, I wanted to do something different for the Rose of Sharon quilt.

I ordered the large fan stencil from Barb at Fun with Barb and I can see why she wanted to design and produce one like this! :)

So one to bind, one to tie, and one to hand quilt !

Quick update : If you’ve read previous posts I had to get a new computer, hate having Windows 10 versus Windows 7 and was upset about losing Picasa. Thanks to Eileen at Viewing Nature with Eileen, I was able to find a site to download it. I was so happy to have it back since I am familiar with it, and I can use it within my computer versus having to go online which is the case with PicMonkey and many others.

 You might also enjoy : BEE PETTING & BLOOMS   

Or ICE and a Little Applique

Sharing at Esther’s Quilt Blog, Sew Fresh Quilts, and My Quilt Infatuation