End of year quilting review for 2017

Back in January Meridethe at Pomegranate and Chintz had a linkup in regards to 17 UFO projects for 2017. It was not about attempting to finish them all but progressing somewhat on each one.

My original 17 in 2017 January list is HERE for my records. I had come up with 20 projects.  Once I’d worked on a few during the first month or two, it dawned on me that I’d prefer to not progress on each one…..or I’d have the same list at the end of the year! I decided to just focus on a portion  of the list.

Some of the projects on my list were as small as only having 4-5 blocks started while others were in the end stages, just requiring one more block, or a border, etc.

Referencing my original list and post I see that I ended up working on 11 out of the 20, with 6 finishes, 1 close to being finished, and progress made on the other four.

Some Quilt Finishes :
  • February 2017 : Finished tying and binding this gradient quilt for my youngest son / I’d started it while participating in  a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project
  • April : Stars and Spools was completed : Applique, EPP hexies and extensive hand quilting
  • July : Tied my Quilty 365 quilt top
  • August : Scrappy Granny finished : extensively hand quilted
  • Also in this collage another border was completed for the Flower Medallion.
 
Stars and Spools will probably always be my favorite quilt because I made it up as I went along :)
 While the center basket is from a pattern, I am also making up my own borders. It’s been a long time since I completed the second one. I hope to return to this next year.
I tied the 1857 Album quilt ( couch quilt size ) and gifted it to my son’s family, where it is in constant use. They have several of my quilts down there and I’d sent my Snowball Quilt home with my oldest son in November for his birthday.
 
 The WHIMSY table runner was quilted very simply and given as a gift at some point in the summer.
whimsy table runner TOP on line
 The projects that have seen progress over the year :
This Botanical top is currently in the hoop and I am hand quilting the last block:
 
 Little Baskets: had a few started at the end of 2016 and 36 are done as now ( using the RSC color suggestions of the month for these)
Airship Propeller Blocks : again, using the RSC color suggestions of the month…and hand appliqueing them, I had five done in the beginning of the year, and have completed 15 thus far.
Elizabeth’s Pride Applique : I had 7 completed at the beginning of the year and 13 are done now.
   Looking over my review I was surprised, as I didn’t realize how many on that original list I did tackle after all ! :)
Here’s wishing us all a wonderful New Year :)
Also sharing at Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching. I’ll be working on applique on more little baskets as well as some hand quilting.    Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts as well.

Sewing Review : Back to that 17 in 2017 list

Back in January I joined this, that and the other organizational thing about completing quilt projects on a monthly, quarterly and yearly goal agenda. I lasted a few months and stopped linking up and just went my own way.

My original January list is HERE for my records. With 2/3 of the year gone I thought it might be a good time to do a sewing review.

While I did not work on the entire list I did tackle some of it.

  • I had 5 Airship Propeller blocks done, and just followed the Rainbow Scrap Challenge suggested color of the month and now have 12.
  • I did the same with my Little Baskets, and now have 31.
  • I had 7 Elizabeth’s Pride blocks completed and am up to 10.
 
Some Quilt Finishes :
  • February 2017 : Finished tying and binding this gradient quilt for my youngest son / I’d started it while participating in  a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project
  • April : Stars and Spools was completed : Applique, EPP hexies and extensive hand quilting
  • July : Tied my Quilty 365 quilt top
  • August : Scrappy Granny finished : extensively hand quilted
  • Also in this collage another border was completed for the Flower Medallion.
 
At some point during the early months of the winter I’d machine quilted this ( very simply ) but I can’t find a photo once I’d done that / it was given away.
whimsy table runner TOP on line
 Nor could I find a photo of the Flower Basket Medallion with the second border attached, so perhaps I’d worked on these around the same time and just forgotten to update. I brought the Flower Basket Medallion out for a photo today.
Also out for a photo is the 1857 quilt, tied and binding finished, prior to going in to the wash with some color catchers.  Scrappy Granny is down at my son’s house and that is where this one is going as well.  ( Though Scrappy Granny has not been washed as yet….the kids can use it for awhile and I’ll bring it home for a wash later on. ) It will go to my oldest son for his birthday in November.
 This Botanical Album top has been sandwiched and is in my hoop for hand quilting, with one block completed.
From that very long list of mine in January, I progressed on four projects, and finished 5 quilts, with the 6th one in the hoop.
Meanwhile, as I sat sewing the binding on the 1857 top this week I had the news on quite a bit, online. Hurricane Harvey and the devastation, the horrific flooding, the heroic efforts of the rescuers ( both professional and volunteer ) is pretty much all that I could think of. And with its second landing and Port Arthur and other areas flooding today, it just gets worse and worse.  I add my thoughts and prayers with everyone else for the people in Texas.